Monday, May 23, 2011

Recap of the Billboard Awards

I love awards shows.  My favorites are the Academy Awards, Grammys, and VMA's of course.  But I can't seem to stop myself from watching the other ones too.  The AMA's, People's Choice, and Golden Globes are relatively trivial awards that no one cares about.  Yet I watch anyways.

Going into the Billboard Awards, I didn't have much of an interest.  However, my friend Jean happened to be attending the event (jealous!!), so I watched.  I was pleasantly surprised by some of the performances I saw...including one that was awesomely bad.  Here are the highlights:

Beyonce gave one of the best performances of ALL TIME!! Seriously.  I loved the backdrop and her outfit was fierce.  She received an honorary award and was given tributes by Lady Gaga, Michelle Obama, and Stevie Wonder.  It was also sweet that she thanked the original members of Destiny's Child (the other two besides Kelly and Michelle).  Check out her performance soon.


Cee-Lo's performance was awesome too.  A levitating piano.  How does it hold him up?  My friends and I tried to figure it out...thought it was a piece of glass.  Then the whole piano, with Cee-Lo attached, rotated in a 360 degree angle, going totally upside down!  After that, we had no idea how it was done.  Must have been magic.



Justin Bieber kissed Selena Gomez when he won the award for "Best New Artist."  Selena looked amazing and Bieber deserved the award after being defeated at the Grammys to someone I'd never heard of.  My friend was upset that Nicki Minaj didn't win, but after her performance last night, I wasn't convinced.

And finally...Britney Spears totally sucked!!! I missed the beginning performance with Rihanna but I was unimpressed with Brit's ability to walk and lip sync.  She didn't even dance.  And it was the most anticipated performance of the night?  Puh-leaze.  Also, Nicki Minaj's part wasn't any better.  I secretly think Britney told her to under-perform so she didn't look bad. Also, her boyfriend, Jason Trawick, looked like an old man.  And she only had one expression on her face the whole time: fake smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment