Thursday, July 14, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: Last Night at Chateau Marmont

Review
Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger

I bought this book for two reasons: (1) this is the same author who wrote The Devil Wears Prada, and (2) I am obsessed with celebrities so the plot was instantly intriguing.

Plot
The story is about a married couple, Brooke, a level-headed nutritionist, and Julian, a struggling but talented musician.  They were working hard to make ends meet when Julian became an overnight sensation.  The fame takes a toll on their relationship, and you are left wondering if they are going to "make it" or end up getting divorced.

Highlights
There were several likable characters in this story.  Julian, the husband, seems like the guy that every girl wants.  He is incredibly sweet, sensitive, and doesn't have any of the bad habits other men do.  Also, Brooke's best friend Nola is interesting and a lot more relatable for me.

Spoiler Alert
My only struggle with this book was my feelings towards the protagonist, Brooke Alter.  While the author attempted to portray her as down-to-earth, I thought she was stubborn and acted like she was better than everyone else.  She blamed her husband for all the problems with their marriage due to his newfound fame, but she refused to quit her job and travel with him.  I mean, it's as if she never considered what it would be like if her husband were to be famous, so she didn't know how to react.  If she had just put her career on hold to travel the world with her husband, they wouldn't have had any struggle at all.  I almost quit reading half-way through the book because I thought she was so annoying.  However, my Facebook friends encouraged me to continue.

Conclusion
I enjoyed the concept behind the plot, and loved the leading man.  The ending made me happy and I even teared up a little.

Recommendation
I would recommend this book if you enjoy "Chick Lit" as much as I do, if you're interested in celebrity gossip, or if you don't know what else to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment